QuickStart Early Intervention for Autism is partnering with Emerging Minds to provide free interventions services to families who have a young child with autism in the Ottawa area. Through our efforts, we hope to identify and offer treatment to very young children who are showing signs of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). As part of this service, we are evaluating the effectiveness and benefits of early intervention.
If a family qualifies for the KickStart Program, they will receive free sessions with an occupational therapist, a speech therapist and an educator therapist who will provide suggestions and direct coaching. Each appointment is between 1 and 1.5 hours. Not all the therapists will be present at each appointment. Sessions will be scheduled on a weekly basis over a 4-5 month period.
- The child must be diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder**
- The child must be under 30 months of age
- At least one parent must be able to participate with their child during regular weekday working hours
- The family must be able to commit to regular appointments, without interruption, for 4-5 months.
- The child cannot be receiving more than 10 hours per week of other autism-related interventions
- The parents must commit to applying the treatment strategies they learn at a rate of at least 2 hours per day
- The parents must be able to maintain and complete an intervention log of the practice sessions with their child
** If your child is not diagnosed but you suspect they have ASD and your family would otherwise qualify for the KickStart program, we offer a private streamlined assessment for children under 30 months of age.
If you are interested in the Kickstart program, you can contact Jennifer Mackintosh at 613-883-3716 or firstname.lastname@example.org to book a 30 minute intake appointment.
Spaces in the Kickstart program are limited as they are funded through donations to Quickstart – Early Intervention to Autism and depend on annual funds raised. Not all children screened will be considered eligible for the Kickstart program and in those cases, we will do our best to direct the family to other appropriate services.